Ham and Mustard Cauliflower Cheese
The perfect centerpeice for a gathering with family and friends.
6 – 8 people
Tracklements Robust Wholegrain Mustard
2kg rolled, tied gammon joint
2 tbsp Tracklements Robust Wholegrain Mustard
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 large cauliflowers cut into chunks
80g plain flour
250g grated Cheddar cheese
All ingredients are available to purchase in our Farm Shop
- Pre-heat the oven to 160’C.
- Place the gammon into a pan large enough that you can completely cover it with cold water and heat until it just starts to simmer, then remove from the heat and throw away the water.
- Put a length of foil over a roasting tin and another piece widthways to form a cross. Place the ham skin side up in the middle and wrap the foil up to create a tent around the ham which is tightly sealed but with room for air to circulate. Bake for 1 hour, then remove from the oven, remove the foil and turn the oven up to 220’C.
- While the ham is cooking:
- Mix together the mustard and brown sugar into a paste.
- Cook the cauliflower in boiling water for 3-4 mins until just cooked, then drain and spread over a roasting tray.
- Make the cheese sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the milk to form a roux and cook to a paste. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly to form a smooth sauce, season with pepper and taste. Simmer for 5 mins, stirring constantly and then add the cheese. Loosen with a little extra milk, if needed.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower in the roasting tray, sprinkle with extra cheese if wanted.
- Remove any string from the ham. Being careful to protect your hands, remove its skin by sliding a sharp knife under the skin and peeling it away, leaving as much of the fat as you can. Make a diamond pattern by scoring the fat crossways and then lengthways. Spread the mustard mixture all over the ham, pressing it into the score marks in the fat.
- Place the ham, fat side up in the middle of the cauliflower cheese and return to the hot oven for a further 30 mins until the ham is golden and the cheese is bubbling.
- Rest for 5 mins before serving.